Lakeside Hospital opened December, 1924 at 2801 Flora overlooking Troost Lake. George Conley, DO,MD put up his own funds to build a teaching hospital for the students of Kansas City College of Osteopathy and Surgery. It was the first hospital in the area to provide interships for osteopaths.
Designed by architects Archer & Gloyd, the three-story brick building contained Circassian walnut doors and woodwork with enclosed glass solariums on the east and west sides. It was advertised as a "Hotel for Sick Guests".
The new Lakeside Hospital, built with the help of donations from physicians, interns, and patients, opened April 19, 1964. In 1969 a four story addition was completed adding 67 beds, bringing the total to 167. Lakeside Hospital closed January 16, 1992.
In 1966 the Secretary of Defense directed the Armed Forces to accept qualified DOs who volunteered as officers in the medical corps. Harry J. Walter, DO (COM '65) volunteered and was the first osteopathic physician in United States military history to be sworn into the Air Force as a medical officer. Dr. Walter was still an intern at Lakeside Hospital at the time and completed his intership before going into active duty.
All content and elements of this website, including its text and photographs, are protected by United States and international copyright laws. Without the express written consent of Kansas City University this website content or photographs may not be reproduced or reused in any manner. Requests to use content or photographs, or requests for information purposes, may be directed to D'Angelo Library, Kansas City University, 1750 Independence Ave. Kansas City, MO 64106, 816-654-7260, email@example.com.